Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 0.9.4 on NT4 : no submenus

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:59:08 +0100
Guy,

Alistair.McGlinchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > No such luck for TCP Stream Analysis. I wonder what it does :-)
> Note that TCP Stream Analysis will work only if you have selected a
> frame that contains TCP.  It's worked fine for me with a current CVS
> version of Ethereal on NT 4.0.

This sort of explains what's going on here.  But there's still something odd
.When I select any one of the 4 graphs in the sub menu, I get an error
message "Ethereal Warning: Selected packet is not a TCP Segment" even when
the packet is a TCP. I upgraded from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 today and get the same
message. See attached PNG.
 <<Error.png>>
> An unfortunate misfeature of the GTK+ toolkit is that an inactive menu
> item with a pull-right menu is *not* grayed out, unlike inactive menu
> items without pull-right menus; the "feedback" that it's inactive is
> that you don't get the pull-right menu.

I still don't get a pull-right menu on for Match or Prepare regardless of
which frame is selected.  But "Follow TCP Stream" does work, so at least
some part of Ethereal recognisies a TCP sequence when it sees one. See
attached PNG.

 <<match_err.png>>

Alistair
> Alistair McGlinchy,           alistair.mcglinchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sizing and Performance, Central IT,   ext. 5012,   ph +44 20 7268-5012
> Marks and Spencer, 3 Longwalk Rd, Stockley Park, Uxbridge UB11 1AW, UK

Registered Office:
Marks & Spencer p.l.c
Michael House, Baker Street,
London, W1U 8EP
Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

The registered office of Marks and Spencer Financial Services Limited, Marks and Spencer Unit Trust Management Limited, Marks and Spencer Life Assurance Limited and Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Limited is Kings Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB.