Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Unable to start ethereal (pallette problem)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:58:38 -0700
On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 12:25:35AM -0700, Tom Emerson wrote:
> Now, having used this in the past [and knowing it comes from a
> unix/terminal/non-gui background] I cannot fathom why the progran would need
> more than 16 colors,

As Gerald noted, it's because the version of the GTK+ toolkit, which we
use on both UNIX and Windows, that we currently use on Windows requires
at least 16-bit color on Windows.

I believe the current version of GTK+ for Windows doesn't require that -
but it may require some porting effort, as it's based on GTK+ 2.0.