Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] TCP/IP Bindings Problem

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:39:38 -0800
On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:33:41AM +0000, Will Pincek wrote (in HTML;
	please don't send HTML mail to this list):
> I've had Ethereal up and running for some time now but recently I have
> been unable to use it. I'm not sure what I did but I'm hoping
> someone can help me figure out what went wrong.
>
> So far I've, uninstalled/reinstalled Ethereal and WinPcap 5 or 6 times,
> uninstalled/reinstalled TCP/IP, and uninstalled/reinstalled my Ethernet
> interface only to see the same output from Ethereal.
>
> When I bring up Ethereal, and select Capture-Start, I get a window
> labeled "Packet DLL" with an OK button.  It states, "Can not find TCP/IP
> bindings.  In order to run the packet capture driver you must install
> TCP/IP." When I click OK, the Ethereal: Capture Preferences box comes up
> and NO interfaces are listed in the Interface pull down menu.
>
> While trying to troubleshoot, I also installed WinDump.  When starting
> WinDump from the command line, the same "Packet DLL" OK box, described
> above, pops up.

That's a WinPcap problem of some sort, not an Ethereal problem (as you
note, WinDump has the same problem).  As such, you should check the
WinPcap FAQ:

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/misc/faq.htm

and, if that doesn't help, ask the WinPcap people about it:

	winpcap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't know what the cause of that problem would be.