Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] gaming applications

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:38:47 -0800
On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:40:42PM -0800, laila khreisat wrote:
>  I would like to know what is meant by gaming applications,

It probably means "video games", such as Quake.

> and how
> to run such applications and capture its related packets using Ethereal.

Well, Ethereal includes modules to analyze packets for several of the
networked multi-player versions of Quake, so you could run those as
networked games, and run Ethereal on a machine on the same network.
(If the network is switched, this might not work unless you can
configure the switch to send *all* traffic to the switch to the port
into which the machine running Ethereal is plugged.  If you run Ethereal
on one of the machines running Quake, or a Quake server, you could at
least see the traffic to and from that machine, even on a switched
network.)