Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Missing data on trace

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:05:10 -0800
On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 09:02:54AM -0500, Camilleri, Joe wrote:
> I just installed Ethereal and tested it by tracing a simple http request.
> The html screen that I displayed has two image files on it. When I follow
> the tcp stream I see the get for the html page and only one image file.
> Although both image files are displayed I only see a get request for one of
> them. Do I need to configure something on Ethereal to see all the requests ?

No, that's not the result of a configuration problem.

It may be the result of a bug (or other Ethereal deficiency, such as not
handling "Content-Length" in HTTP, so that it doesn't see some
subsequent HTTP requests in a persistent connection), or it may be the
result of the two image files being fetched in two different TCP
connections (in which case if you follow the TCP stream you'll only see
one GET request because there *is* only one GET request in the TCP
stream).

Without a copy of the capture file, I cannot say which of the two it is.