Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:16:56 -0800
On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 09:53:44PM -0600, Zhou, Tong  (UMKC-Student) wrote:
> I downloaded Ethereal (binary, ethereal-setup-0.9.1.exe) from the web
> site to my PC, which uses windows 95.  I also downloaded the WinPcap
> driver.  After I installed them, it looks like Ethereal is ready to go.
> But no traffic can be captured by Ethereal.

First, use the "Find" option (or the "Search" option, or whatever the
"find files with these names" option is called) under the "Start" menu,
to make sure there's only one file named "wpcap.dll" on your system.

If there isn't, un-install WinPcap, do the "Find" again, and delete all
the other ones you find, and then re-install WinPcap.

Then, if Ethereal still doesn't work, try downloading WinDump:

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/

and try capturing with that.

If that can't capture, either, it's a WinPcap problem, not an Ethereal
problem; report it to

	 winpcap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx