Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Interface bugs

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:25:51 -0800
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 04:43:18PM +0300, Denis Fedkin wrote:
> Hi, I've tried to use your Ethereal software, but I got stuck: it does
> not find any interfaces on my machine (but it does on the others).
> What's my problem?

Well, your first problem is that you haven't given enough information
for us to know for certain. :-)

> (I'm using Ethereal under WinXP,

On all of the machines, or just on the one where it's not finding any
interfaces?

If Windows XP is only on the machine where it's not finding any
interfaces, then the problem might be that you have WinPcap 2.2
installed on the machine.

If Windows XP is on all of the machines, perhaps you installed WinPcap
2.2 on the machine with the problems but WinPcap 2.3 beta on the
machines not having the problem.

What you should do is:

	uninstall WinPcap on the machine where Ethereal isn't finding
	any interfaces;

	use the "Search" option to search for files or folders (or
	whatever that option became on NT 5.1^H^H^H^H^H^HWindows XP, if
	they renamed it between NT 5.0^H^H^H^H^H^HWindows 2000 and
	Windows XP) to see whether, after uninstalling WinPcap, you have
	any files named "packet.dll" or "wpcap.dll";

	if you do have any, remove them;

	then download WinPcap 2.3 beta - *NOT* WinPcap 2.2 - and install
	it on the machine.

(Yes, you should do all of that.  People have had problems that turned
out to be due to more than one version of the WinPcap libraries being
installed, which caused no end of confusion, as Ethereal was using one
version of the library and couldn't find interfaces, while WinDump was
using another version and could find interfaces.  We want to make
*absolutely sure* you don't have more than one version of WinPcap
installed, and making sure you have no versions installed, and then
installing one version, will do that.)

Then try Ethereal again.

If it finds your interfaces, the problem was you had WinPcap 2.2, which
does *NOT* work on Windows XP, installed, rather than WinPcap 2.3 beta,
which does work on Windows XP.  (The Ethereal download page points this
out.)

If it doesn't find your interfaces, then download WinDump:

	http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/windump/

and try that.  If it doesn't find your interfaces, either, then it's
probably a WinPcap problem; report it to

	winpcap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx