Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] windows 2000 libxm12.dll

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:59:56 -0800 (PST)
> Ethereal crashed on a win2K server,

"Crashed" as in "exited unexpectedly, possibly with the OS popping up
some dialog box reporting an error"?

> a snippet of the
> console window contained
> "XMLSTUB:
> unable to open module libxml2.dll",

That just means that the library that's needed to read XML files
containing a dictionary for the Diameter protocol isn't present -
Ethereal falls back on a built-in dictionary in that case.

> "command code 0x00312e30 vendor 540160048 - Bad
> packet: bad flags 0x68 or version (7)".

That just means that the capture you were trying to read had some
traffic to or from port 1812 that wasn't Diameter traffic, and the
rather-noisy Diameter dissector whined about it (just as it whined about
the absence of the dictionary file).

> Anybody got any ideas ???

If "crashed" means "exited unexpectedly, possibly with the OS popping up
some dialog box reporting an error", then there's probably something in
the capture file you were trying to read that runs into a bug in
Ethereal.

Without the capture file (or debugging information that's probably not
available unless you have Visual C++ installed; no, I don't know offhand
how to get that information), we probably can't debug it.

If you were doing a live capture, the capture file is a file with a name
that begins with "etherXXXX", either in

	C:\Temp

(if you upgraded from NT 4.0) or in

	C:\Documents and Settings\{your name}\Local Settings\Temp

(if you didn't upgrade from NT 4.0).