Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Hey guys

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:46:33 -0800 (PST)
> I just wanted to know whether I Can transmit a Ethernet Frame without the
> Type(higher layer). it just has the length. or can I give my own custom
> ethernet Type, which
> only my receiver can understand decode.

Not with Ethereal, you can't - it doesn't support transmitting frames.

Frames sent out over Ethernet/802.3 networks have either a type field,
or a length field; if the last 2 bytes of the 14-byte Ethernet header,
interpreted as a big-endian unsigned integer, are <= 1500, the field is
a length field, otherwise it's a type field.

Whether you can send a frame with a length field rather than a type
field (i.e., an 802.3 frame rather than an Ethernet frame), or a frame
with your own private Ethernet type, depends on your OS and, perhaps,
software layered atop it.