Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] I can't see "ping packets" going across the wire

From: "Joe Aiello" <Joe.Aiello@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 14:03:24 -0800
You are probably on an Ethernet Switch.  Switches do not send all traffic to
all ports.  A hub does that.  You can put all the parties on a hub and see
all traffic.

A managed Ethernet switch allows you to configure a monitor port.  This
works pretty well, but does not always forward all packets to the forward
port (on some switches, especially under load).  This is your option if you
use Ethernet switches.

See the Ethereal FAQ Q4.1  http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q4.1

Joe