Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] issue with setup

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:19:39 -0800 (PST)
> i followed the instructions for XP install and installed the 2.3 Beta
> as mentioned on the download page.
>
> i get the packet_ndisWanlp as my interface but i can't get any page through
> browser.

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq.html#q4.9

"Q 4.9: I'm running Ethereal on Windows NT/2000; my machine has a PPP
(dial-up POTS, ISDN, etc.) interface, and it shows up in the "Interface"
item in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box.  Why can no packets be
sent on or received from that network while I'm trying to capture
traffic on that interface?

A: WinPcap doesn't support PPP WAN interfaces on Windows NT/2000; one
symptom that may be seen is that attempts to capture in promiscuous mode
on the interface cause the interface to be incapable of sending or
receiving packets.  You can disable promiscuous mode using the -p
command-line flag or the item in the "Capture Preferences" dialog box,
but this may mean that outgoing packets, or incoming packets, won't be
seen in the capture."

"Windows XP" is really the desktop version of Windows NT 5.1, just as
"Windows 2000" is really Windows NT 5.0; WinPcap on Windows NT 5.1 may
well suffer from the same problem as WinPcap on Windows NT 5.0 ("Windows
2000") and Windows NT 4.0.