Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Re: Strange behaviour ethereal 0.9.0 (self compiled) cap

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:29:15 -0800 (PST)
> Ok, but why the difference between "live update" and "not live update" ?

Perhaps because, when reading a live capture, Ethereal doesn't read the
entire capture file at once, but reads it as packets arrive?

I don't know why that would make a difference, but given that there
appears to be some bizarre I/O problem, just about *anything* could
happen.

What happens if you try building ethereal with "--disable-zlib"?  Does
that work better?  (If so, the zlib on your system might be broken in
some fashion.)