Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal doesnt recognize any interface

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:10:49 -0700
On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:57:36AM -0400, Ketan P Pancholi wrote:
> I tried it with login as root but the problem still persists.It doesnt show
> any interfaces at all.

What happens if you try to run tcpdump on the tr0 or lo0 interfaces?

If that doesn't work either, then the problem is probably that your OS
(which, from the "Austin/IBM" part of your e-mail address, I infer is
probably AIX) doesn't support capturing packets on the tr0 or lo0
interfaces.

If that does work, then I'd try building tcpdump from source, and make
sure it's linked with the *exact same version of libpcap* with which
tcpdump is linked.  If the resulting tcpdump doesn't work, then the
problem is probably that the version of libpcap in question can't manage
to support capturing packets on the tr0 or lo0 interfaces.