Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal doesnt recognize any interface

From: "Ketan P Pancholi" <pancholi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:57:36 -0400
I tried it with login as root but the problem still persists.It doesnt show
any interfaces at all.

"Adrian Rosoga" <adrianr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@ethereal.com on 07/24/2001
10:27:43 AM

Sent by:  ethereal-users-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To:   Ketan P Pancholi/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, ethereal-users@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:
Subject:  Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal doesnt recognize any interface

Ketan P Pancholi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> When I start the capture from the ethereal menu window,in the interface
> drop down menu it doesnt show any interface.I saw by ifconfig -a that I
> have two interfaces tr0 and lo0.
>
> when I specify the tr0 interface and click ok,it gives me an error saying
> check the interface specified.So the ethereal doesn't seem to recognize
any
> of my interfaces.

Probably you login as root and then start ethereal. As I remember,
setting the ethernet interface in promiscuous mode requires root
permissions.

The same happens on my machine - ifconfig shows all interfaces, but
ethereal none of them, unless I login as root.

Adrian