Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:55:26 -0700 (PDT)
> That version is very old. I suggest that you go to
> www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32

Don't be fooled by the ".exe" - for some reason, either IBM or the folks
maintaining the archive of binary packages for AIX stick ".exe" at the
end of the file name of UNIX-by-God executables.  (Well, AIX
executables, anyway.)

I.e., he's running AIX, not Windows, as per

> I downloaded the binary files for ethereal,gtk+,glib
> and libpcap from the aix web site.

and

> I installed them using smit.
			 ^^^^
I vaguely remember seeing some indication on that site that the ".exe"
files are binaries you run to install the software (speaking of "shades
of Windows"...); I assume from

> The ethereal is now installed

that he's already run the file and gotten Ethereal installed.  (If not,
he should read the directions on the site, which presumably tell you
what to do with the ".exe" file).

After that, well, he should go to

	http://www.ns.aus.com/ethereal/user-guide/book1.html

and start reading (it's even for 0.8.11...).

I don't know if any more recent versions of Ethereal are available in
binary form for AIX; if not, if he wants to run a newer version, he'll
have to get the source and compile it.

(Richard, should we put a link to the User's Guide on the Ethereal site,
or would that end up /.-ing your site? Should we put the user's guide on
the Ethereal site itself at some point, now that its source appears to
be in the ethereal-doc CVS tree?)