Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] large capture file hangs machine

From: Kervin Pierre <kpierre@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 12:19:47 -0400
Hi,

I have a simple suggestion.

Maybe ethereal could import the captures in stages.

(i) Do the import as if -n was provided, that is no name resolution.
(ii)Display the capture.
(iii)Go down the packet list and update the names IF the '-n' flag was
not given.  The user can browse packets as usual, but sees the ip only
names progressly changing to resolved names.

This change I think would help newbies, like me, a lot.  Before I read
this email, I wondered why ethereal was so slow.

-Kervin