Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Short frames

From: Robert Ryan-Silva <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:00:58 +0200
Pardon me if this is a newbie question; I could not find the answer in the archives or elsewhere.

I am running Ethereal 0.8.19 under Windows 2000 Professional on a Fujitsu Lifebook with a Linksys Combo PCMCIA card. I am running the latest version of WinPcap.

When I try to track traffic around the LAN with Ethereal, the packets to and from my machine appear fully formed, but all other packets appear as [Short Frame] -- to and from addresses and the type field, and nothing else. I assume this is because my packet driver is not properly in promiscuous mode.

My first question: is that right? From reading the questions of others who have problems with promiscuous mode, it seems they do not see any other traffic at all.

The card supports promiscuous mode, though I cannot be sure that the driver does (how could I tell?). The hub is a hub and not a switch. Anything else I'm missing?

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Rob