Ethereal-users: RES: [Ethereal-users] Monitoring Cisco Router using Ethereal

From: "Luanna Silva" <luanna.silva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:42:40 -0300
>If you're to use Ethereal to receive and display SNMP
>traps sent to the machine running Ethereal then that
>isn't a function of Ethereal. If you are capturing
>traffic with Ethereal then the SNMP traps should show
>up in the captured packets (trace) if no filters are
>being used.

	Well, i receive the traps(linkdown notifications) on my machine
that runs Ethereal, but i cant view the packets on Ethereal. So, my
doubt is why i cant view the packets on Ethereal if my machine receives
the notification? I tried no filters, filters on, and i capture no
packet that comes from the router.

>If you want something to display the SNMP traps
>received then you'll need a syslog/network mgmt/SNMP
>trap program of some sort.

	Thank you Guy for your help too.
	I configured the router to send traps to the host that was
running Ethereal, so promiscuous/not promiscuous should not e a problem,
that´s right?

	Regards,

Luanna