Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] no timestamp on tethereal 0.8.8 ?

From: Ron Flory <ron.flory@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:25:31 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

> > It is quite different from tcpdump,
>
> So is the summary-line format:

 OK, lets start over.

 I really am not concerned about matching the format of tcpdump, just bringing up the fact that tcpdump provides a timestamp
and tethereal does not.

> which is also intentional (I find the latter much easier to read than
> the former).  Imitating tcpdump's display format was *not* a goal of
> tethereal.

 the first part is personal preference, the second is a fact, no problem.

> > and is documented in the manpage as being a available.
>
> The man page is incorrect; it fails to note that the time stamp isn't
> displayed, by default, for live captures.

 not exactly.  From what I can tell tetheral won't generate a timestamp on live captures, even if you tell it to.  Thats the
point I'm trying to make here...

 I won't go into the rest of the message.  I can only imagine that you misunderstood my original post, and I don't really want
to get into an argument- they don't benfit anybody.

peace-

ron