Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] no timestamp on tethereal 0.8.8 ?

From: Ron Flory <ron.flory@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:43:52 -0500
Guy Harris wrote:

> >  It seems that tethereal 0.8.8 does not emit timestamps.
>
> This is not new in 0.8.8.
>
> Tethereal is imitating Sun's snoop here; snoop (at least on Solaris
> 2.5.1 and 2.6; the only Solaris 7 machine I have handy is my home
> machine when I boot Sol7 on it, and I'm not home right now, and I have
> no Solaris 8 machines handy) only reports time stamps when reading an
> existing capture file, not when doing a live capture, and Tethereal
> does the same.

 is this the expected behavior?  It is quite different from tcpdump, and is documented in the manpage as being a available.

 If imitating Sun's snoop is important, I'd add another state to the 'ts_type' enum (i.e., NO_TIMESTAMP) which could be the
default method for Suns.  It would also be super easy to add the command-line option "-tn" for NO timestamp (which would
probably be the default for some machines anyway...).

 Current operation discards the timestamp even when explicitly requested on the command-line, which can't be right  ;)

 Thanks-

ron