Ethereal-users: Re: [ethereal-users] Problems with Ethereal & RH 6.2

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:50:02 -0700
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 11:30:52PM -0400, Paul Stillwell wrote:
> Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I don't
> subscribe to this list and I couldn't find this problem documented
> anywhere.

See

	http://ethereal.zing.org/faq.html#q3.4

which says:

	Q: Ethereal will not run because snmp_set_full_objid is an
	undefined symbol.

        A: You've upgraded to UCD SNMP 4.1.1, right? Or perhaps you're
	using RedHat 6.2.

        Either install UCD SNMP 4.0[.x] on your system, or download
	source code and built from source; UCD SNMP 4.1.1 removed from
	the library a routine that Ethereal calls (it changed it to a
	macro wrapper for another routine), and the RPMs for Ethereal
	are built on, I think, a pre-RH 6.2 system with the earlier UCD
	SNMP (as per the "-v" message), which means they won't work with
	systems such as RH 6.2 that have UCD SNMP 4.1.1.

> Would compiling and installing from source help?

Yes, as per the above.