Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

From: "Ian Schorr" <ian.schorr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:14:36 -0400
On 6/7/06, John R. <jhoger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Interesting. From the actual Wireshark FAQ:

> Q 1.2: What's up with the name change? Is Wireshark a fork?
>
> A: In May of 2006, the original author of Ethereal(r) went to work for CACE Technologies (best known for WinPcap). At that time he started the Wireshark open-source project.
>
> Wireshark is almost (but not quite) a fork. Normally a "fork" of an open source project results in two names, web sites, development teams, support infrastructures, etc. This is the case with Wireshark except for one notable exception -- every member of the core development team is now working on Wireshark.

I'm perhaps a tad late on this, but one comment here:  Should this item in the FAQ be modified to talk about the problems with the Ethereal mark, etc?  The reason for the name change, site move, etc is not "because Gerald changed jobs" alone, and anyone reading this is likely to be just as confused about the situation as most people seemed to be when this was first announced on the lists.