Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 21:17:15 -0700

On Jun 7, 2006, at 8:50 PM, John R. wrote:

Interesting. From the actual Wireshark FAQ:

Q 1.2: What's up with the name change? Is Wireshark a fork?

A: In May of 2006, the original author of Ethereal(r) went to work for CACE Technologies (best known for WinPcap).

I.e., Gerald Combs went to work for CACE.

Wireshark is almost (but not quite) a fork. Normally a "fork" of an open source project results in two names, web sites, development teams, support infrastructures, etc. This is the case with Wireshark except for one notable exception -- every member of the core development team is now working on Wireshark.

I.e., every member of the old Ethereal core development team (which is being used in the sense of "people with privileges to directly commit to the Subversion repository") is now working on Wireshark.

Nothing in the FAQ says that every member of the core development team went to work for CACE - and, in fact, they didn't. Most if not all of us, with the exception of Gerald, still work where we did before.