Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Installing Plugins (0.10.14)

From: "Jasim Tariq" <jasimtariqjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:13:31 -0800

if you want to run ethereal directly from the source directory, you
should do a "nmake install-deps" after building ethereal. This will copy all
required libraries to the source directory and the official plugins to
the appropriate location, ($ethereal_mainsource_dir)/plugins/0.10.14/ in your
case.

You have to copy your own plugins manually into this directory or you have to
add such code to the install-plugins target in plugins/Makefile.nmake.

Note, that the gtk2 version of ethereal is called ethereal-gtk2.exe within
the source tree.

I followed the above steps. The plugins were installed. Now when I try to add my own plugins by changing the plugins/Makefile.nmake file, it doesn't work. Adding the "xcopy xxx\*.dll $(VERSION) /d" line at the end gives an error U1077 xcopy return code 0x4.

However, I have tried building the plugin and copying it mannually into the folder 0.10.14. Only problem with that is when I start ethereal by double clicking on ethereal-gtk2.exe or ethereal.exe, an error screen pops up with the message: " This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way, Please contact the application's support team for more information."

If I uninstall all the plugins using "clean-deps" and again install the basic plugins, I am able to run ethereal, but not when I copy my own dissector .dll file into the 0.10.14 folder. Any ideas?
Thanks

Jasim