Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Deprecated features

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 00:06:05 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Graeme Hewson wrote:

> Jaap Keuter wrote:
>
> > I was surpised by this. It seems that with the advance of knowledge some
> > features of Ethereal programming become deprecated. Would it be a good
> > idea to collect these deprecated methods on a Wiki page, like
> > Development/Deprecated? The items could be summed up, provided with
> > rationale and possibly with reference to the related janator project.
>
> Jaap, I see you wrote the Ethereal code for UDP-Lite. Since my patch
> touches a line of your code (just shifting it right to put it under an
> ELSE clause), I could act as janitor. Are you happy for me to remove all
> the proto_tree_add_*_hidden calls in packet-udp.c?

Hi Graeme,

As far as I can tell I only put in a hidden field related to the length
indicated in the packet. This is udp.length and udplite.checksum_coverage,
either one or the other is really there, while to other may be usefull in
the background (ie, while filtering mixed streams).
The same idea is behind the hidden field udp.port. That one I didn't
create and would definitely not want to loose.

So, the question I put forward is to get the deprecated features into the
open so we can discuss them and see if they're really deprecated or just
misused (as may be the case here).

For now leave them in until we get some more opinions in.

Thanx,
Jaap