Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Dissection library?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:29:22 -0800
Bart Braem wrote:
Is the dissection of Ethereal exported as a library?

That depends on what you mean by "exported".

It's built as a library and, on most if not all platforms, that's a shared library.

However, we make *NO* guarantees whatsoever that the APIs in it won't change incompatibly in a future release. (That applies *BOTH* to the APIs it exports to applications and the APIs it exports to packet dissectors.)

In other words, if you use it, you do so at your own risk. If we change the APIs, you'll have to change your program, and those changes will result in a binary incompatibility.