Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Redesigned editcap manpage, please review

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:48:11 +0100
Hi List!

I've redesigned the editcap manpage, so that it is more useful IMHO.

What I've done:

1.) move the input / output file formats into it's own section
2.) move the option explanations from the Description into the Option section
3.) rephrased a lot of sentences to shorten/clarify them
4.) add option parameter names to the Options section "packets per file" which makes it far better readable
5.) renamed frame -> packet and record -> packet

To 1.) it might not be the most interesting thing to see the supported capture file formats as the first information. Someone using editcap might already know this and the one that don't know it might not be interested. Unfortunately, the list of formats doesn't seem to be updated when new formats are added to wiretap, so it might be a better idea to add a new wiretap manpage which would contain the file formats and detailed description of them. The editcap and all the other manpages could link to this wiretap manpage.

To 2.) It doesn't seem to make much sense to describe all the options in the description section and only put a single line in the options section. I've had a look at some other manpages, all of them uses the form I've used now.

One question remain: while the usage output of editcap prints <> for the options (which is correct IMHO), the manpage doesn't use <>. Example: [-c <packets per file>] vs. [-c packets per file]. What is correct here?

You may recompile, have a look at the file doc/editcap.html and send feedback.

I'm going to change the other manpages following the current scheme in the next days if no "vetoes" come along.

Regards, ULFL