Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Reading a capture file from stdin is really working?!?

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:53:44 +0100
Hi Ulf,

the following works on Mac OS X:

[PowerBook:~/Desktop] tuexen% cat icmp1.pcap | tethereal -i - -w ./ testout.pcap
Capturing on -
2

Reading from a 'file' does not:

[PowerBook:~/Desktop] tuexen% cat icmp1.pcap | tethereal -r - -w ./ testout.pcap
tethereal: The file "-" could not be opened: Illegal seek.

The same is if I use named pipe: -i works, -r doesn't.

Best regards
Michael