Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Reading a capture file from stdin is really working?!?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 13:28:21 +0100
Hi List!

I'm wondering, if reading (not capturing) from a stdin is actually working?!?

I've found some parts in the sources which suggests that it's implemented.

But for example:

cat -B dhcp.pcap | ./tethereal -r - -w ./testout.pcap

doesn't seem to work, as reading a capture file requires to seek to the start of a capture file. As it isn't possible for a pipe to seek, this must fail.

There are a lot of file_seek() calls in the wtap_open_offline() and the various sub functions (e.g. libpcap_open), so I don't think this will work.

Do I miss a point here?

Regards, ULFL