Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Suggested expansion of Expert Statistics

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:13:16 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:

No, please don't. The reason you've got such a rude criticism from me is simple. The current usability of the various statistics dialogs is really a bad thing. Take three various dialogs from the Statistics menu and you'll get three different ways to do things, and that's very bad IMHO. I think it's because people think about their problems and don't try to provide a "common look and feel".

...and perhaps because there's no common *code* to put up statistics dialogs, although now there probably is - the stats tree code.

If that common code lets most of the statistics-gathering be shared between Tethereal and Ethereal, with only the lower-level display code being different (but with that code being shared by all the statistics in Tethereal or by all the statistics in Ethereal), so much the better (and if it means that the Ethereal code could also draw graphs at some point, with the individual statistics not having to know how to do that, that's even better).

I've been doing some work on that (having gotten a little peeved by having to do two complete sets of statistics code for AFP), but I've been too busy fixing dissector regressions and put that code aside for now).