Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] mergecap from fifos

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:09:22 +0200
Richard van der Hoff wrote:

Hi,

The attached patch and replacements of wiretap/file_wrappers.{c,h} address the can't-mergecap-from-fifos problem by adding a layer of buffering to capture file access in wiretap.

This trick only works for capture file formats which can be read incrementally in a single pass, but since that includes libpcap, I've found it to be adequate for my needs.

I've found it works pretty well for me, but please do share any comments.

Hi Richard!

Had a (very) short look at your changes, some things comes to my mind:

As I don't know the "incrementally" details of the different file formats, does anyone know which formats won't work, or is this supposed to be used only by specific file types? It's simply a "no go" if existing file formats will stop working.
Will this slow down file reading?
With using GTK2.6, we need to use the GLib functions (e.g. g_open) instead of the plain old open functions. Will this interfere with your changes? If it should be included in the sources, you might split the new functionality into a separate file (e.g. file_buffering.c or such).

Regards, ULFL