Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Windows XP 64 Bit - Report

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 12:31:48 -0700
Joerg Mayer wrote:

Maybe someone who knows windows and the gui could add detection for
64-bit windows and pop up a BIG notice regarding this problem?

The GUI part shouldn't be hard - if the list of adapters is empty, and you're on a 64-bit Windows platform, pop up the dialog.

The hard part is finding out if you're on a 64-bit platform; some Googling indicates that GetNativeSystemInfo() will tell you the type of hardware on which you're running - and not lie to you if you're a 32-bit app on a 64-bit platform - but it first appeared in NT 5.1, so if you're running 95/98/Me/NT 4.0/W2K, it's not available, and you'll have to load kernel32.dll with LoadLibrary() and look for "GetNativeSystemInfo()" with GetSymbolAddress() or whatever it's called, and call it only if you find it, and otherwise assume you're on 32-bit Windows.