Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Remote Capture Using rpcapd

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:40:26 +0200
Guy Harris wrote:

Ross Carlson wrote:

And also, if we were able to do this � why hasn�t this been implemented in Ethereal already?

Because nobody'd informed us, until now, that remote capture in WinPcap was broken because pcap_dispatch() doesn't work on it?

I'll mention this to the WinPcap developers; hopefully, if it's not already fixed in the 3.1 source tree, they can fix it before the official 3.1 release.

I thought I'd mentioned it on this list before and I thought the WinPcap developer's will read it here ...

Well, we might get a solution from the WinPcap developer's now :-)

Even if it's fixed, the usage of this feature is still a bit clumsy in our GUI. Putting all settings into a single interface line really isn't very intuitive. We (I) may add something to the capture options GUI so it become a bit more comfortable using some of the features from the WinPcap API.

As this feature really is discussed controversial in this list (e.g. the authentication problem) I didn't want to push it any further, but there seems to be popular demand on this topic. So I'll maybe doing some more work on this topic.

BTW: I really would like to see support of this in libpcap. Are there any plans/thoughts that this remote capturing feature will become part of libpcap?

Regards, ULFL