Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Tree statistics / MATE

Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:00:55 +0200
> I've just noticed, that the Win32 NSIS installer notes:
> Tree Statistics Plugin (currently http only)
> I would think that some other tree statistics are available now. so the "(currently http only)" might be removed

Yesterday or the day before I moved the http stat_trees to
packet-http.c and removed them from the plugin which nows is there
with a basic example of stats_tree.

> BTW: could someone please add descriptions of these new statistics to the wiki http://wiki.ethereal.com/Statistics?

I'll take care of that soon.

> The MATE plugin is still considered "experimental". Is this still the case and if it still is, are there any estimations when the work will be done?

I'm currently transforming MATE to be a bytecode compiler and VM so
that the grouping and transformation logic can be described in MATE's
own language. The current grammar and logic will be kept and expanded
but the implementation will be deeply changed, the analysis phase
which is coded in C will become MATE's own bytecode (slower but much
more flexible).

Once I'm done with that, MATE will not be experimental anymore and it
will move to epan.

It will take me a while. I have the VM's core already, the key part of
the operations are already there (AVPL, AVP, basic arithmetic and
string operations, condition evaluation, and branching), the compiler
is almost complete.

Unless I change my mind again and go ahead with another "revolution"
(which is very unlikely at this point) I think that in something like
three or four months I might get it out.

Luis