Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Win32 NSIS: calling old Ethereal uninstaller (if existing) be

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 15:34:51 +0200
Peter Johansson wrote:

It is always nice when an installation program cleans up any old *mess* before installing a new version. I would vote for this if it at the same time would be possible to have altered user preferences and colorisation rules survive to the new installation. I guess this means updating the installer to record the user configured information before uninstalling the previous version to be applied once the new version has been installed.

That's what I thought too.

Although I see some difficulties with this. Should the installer be aware of version specific information? What I mean is that if the 0.10.x installation contains a file that should be transferred when installing 0.11.x but not transferred when installing 0.12.x then specific information on how to handle different version transitions is required in the installation package.

Don't understand this, and probably we don't have such a case (yet). Could you give an example?

Regards, ULFL