Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] enterprise number<->name conversion?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:55:47 +0200
On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:03:04PM +0200, Thomas Anders wrote:
> Is there a good reason to *not* support this (similarily to manuf) in
> ethereal?

Because I didn't really see any use for it ;-)

> Otherwise, since several dissectors may benefit from it, what would be
> the best way to add it?

While dissectors would benefit from it? I think going about it similar to
manuf would be ok:
Downloading the file, extracting the enterprise number and the company name
and put the into a TAB or Space seperated file - or we might parse the original
enterprise-numbers file directly - it should be quite easy to do so.
Then Ethereal needs the code to parse that file a startup and of course an
addition to addr_resolv.[hc]
One drawback is, that this will use some more memory.

 Ciao
      Joerg