Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] dfilter-modifications and inclusion of lib_ethereal.so

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:17:19 -0700
Håvard H Garnes wrote:
man, 18,.07.2005 kl. 00.59 -0700, skrev Guy Harris:

So what's the difference between libethereal, a library that's already built as part of Ethereal (although note that we do *NOT* yet guarantee that its API will not change in incompatible ways!) and lib_ethereal?

Unknown. I did not worite lib_ethereal. the original patch was written
for ethereal 0.9.16 - perhaps there was no libethereal at the time.

There wasn't.

You might want to see whether linking with libethereal in an unmodified Ethereal 0.10.11 works.

The new filter-addition is the keyword "return 'field'" which returns
the field-value in place of a gboolean from dfvm_apply.

Do you have an example of how that would be used?

this could be used to do for example

return http.request.host
or
return mime_mulitpart.type
or
return ip.len

or almost any header or prootocol-information ethereal can handle.

So would that be used as part of a display filter, or would that be the entire filter expression?

I.e., is this just a way to request the value of (the first instance of) a particular field in a packet? If so, there might now be APIs to extract that, which applications that would use that keword would use.