Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] dfilter-modifications and inclusion of lib_ethereal.so

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:59:45 -0700
Håvard H Garnes wrote:
Hello. As part of mapi-development (mapi.uninett.no) I have made this
patch to ethereals dfilter to extract information from packets.
Ths patch also includes lib_ethereal, which was developed as part of the
scampi-project (ist-scampi.org) to link an ethereal-library into mapi
for packet and protocol analysis.

So what's the difference between libethereal, a library that's already built as part of Ethereal (although note that we do *NOT* yet guarantee that its API will not change in incompatible ways!) and lib_ethereal?

The new filter-addition is the keyword "return 'field'" which returns
the field-value in place of a gboolean from dfvm_apply.

Do you have an example of how that would be used?

The patch requires aclocal && automake && autoconf

So does Ethereal, at least on UN*X; patches *must* require them, as patches that don't would be patches to Makefile.in, aclocal.m4, and/or configure files without patches to the corresponding Makefile.am, acinclude.m4, and/or configure.in files, and those patches would be rejected as they modify only generated files, not the files used to generate them.

diff -ruN ../ethereal-0.10.11/epan/dfilter/grammar.c ethereal/epan/dfilter/grammar.c
--- ../ethereal-0.10.11/epan/dfilter/grammar.c	2005-06-29 15:42:45.000000000 +0200
+++ ethereal/epan/dfilter/grammar.c	2005-07-04 12:35:49.000000000 +0200

"grammar.c" is generated from "grammar.lemon", so it's sufficient to supply a patch for "grammar.lemon".