Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Fixes for ethereal config files

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 06:52:09 +0100
The attached set of patches includes some minor corrections to
ethereal.pod, mainly to do with the various configuration files.  If the
changes are approved, I will make the corresponding changes to
tethereal.pod.  There are also some fixes for various small problems I
discovered while updating ethereal.pod.

addr_resolv.c -
1. Change order of ethers files, so personal file has priority over
system file.
2. With ADNS, system hosts file was overriding personal hosts file.  Now
personal hosts file always has priority.

main.c - personal gtkrc file was being loaded from current directory
instead of $HOME/.ethereal.

disabled_protos.c - correct a comment.

===

Other comments

Plugins are read in the order global then personal.  Is this correct --
what happens if there are plugins with the same name in each directory?

addr_resolv.c has this comment:

   * XXX - is there a notion of an "ipxnets file" in any flavor of
   * UNIX, or with any add-on Netware package for UNIX?  If not,
   * should the UNIX version of the ipxnets file be in the datafile
   * directory as well?

I suggest the global ipxnets file should be in Ethereal's global
preferences directory rather than /etc, since it seems the answer to the
first question is "no".

main.c has this comment where it reads gtkrc:

  /* read in rc file from global and personal configuration paths. */
  /* XXX - is this a good idea? */

I don't see why it wouldn't be a good idea.  The original code was
reading from the current working directory, and maybe that's what the
comment refers to.  The GTK documentation at
http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/ch-gtkrcfiles.html says an application
should call gtk_rc_parse() for the rc file.

I suggest that XXX comment should be removed.

Graeme Hewson