Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add a "Find Next" button?

From: Graeme Hewson <ghewson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:11:46 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:

Hmmm, I don't know if that's a good idea. I've checked some other programs and none of them had such a feature.

Mozilla and Acroread are two examples that spring to mind.

What's the reason to use it anyway? When I'm searching for something, I'm interested in the first appearance. Having the dialog still open will usually get it in the way of the things I want to see.

Simply adding a "Find Next" button is a bad idea anyway, as having the buttons:

"Find" "Find Next" "Cancel"

doesn't seem to be very intuitive.

There's only one "find" button in the Mozilla and Acroread popups, labelled "Find" and "Find Again" respectively; the functions are identical. The advantage is that it's possible to rapidly step through the data by pressing just the Enter key on the keyboard.

Graeme Hewson