Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add a "Find Next" button?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:49:29 +0200

Ethereal development <ethereal-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 12.07.05 16:56:14:

> While searching for some text in a recent Ethereal capture, I noticed
> the following:
>
> Edit -> Find Packet (or Ctrl-F) brings up the search dialog, but once
> the "Find" is clicked, the dialog disappears.  Unfortunately, if you
> want to search again, you either have to Edit -> Find Packet -> Find, or
> Ctrl-F -> Find, or more simply Ctrl-N to "Find Next".  Although Ctrl-N
> is nice, I think it would also be a good idea if the dialog did not
> disappear until "Cancel" was clicked, and that in addition, the dialog
> also contained a "Find Next" button.

Hmmm, I don't know if that's a good idea. I've checked some other programs and none of them had such a feature.

What's the reason to use it anyway? When I'm searching for something, I'm interested in the first appearance. Having the dialog still open will usually get it in the way of the things I want to see.

Simply adding a "Find Next" button is a bad idea anyway, as having the buttons:

"Find" "Find Next" "Cancel"

doesn't seem to be very intuitive.

There are some other questions as well, so I don't like that idea.