Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] ASN.1/RTSE/ROS/X.411

From: Graeme Lunt <graeme.lunt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 09:40:25 +0200
Hi,

I've justed started looking at ethereal with a view to supporting
X.400 message transfer. This requires support for RTSE, ROS and X.411
- and then X.420.

I have a basic RTSE dissector which can be called from ACSE using the
application context (MTSE in this case). As far as I can tell, the
application context which was used to determine the dissector is not
passed to the dissector itself.  So in this case, the RTSE dissector
cannot determine how to dispatch the connection data or transfer data.
A global variable would work but is not very elegant.
Has this sort of problem been encountered before?

For the time being I plan to "upgrade" my RTSE dissector to a MTSE
dissector to solve this problem and incorporate those bits of ROS I
require (Bind/Unbind). Ultimately it would be nice have separate RTSE
and ROS dissectors (further down the line I would like to add P7
(X.413) - which can be run over either ROS or RTSE).
Is anyone else looking at RTSE/ROS support?

I noticed a couple of problems with the asn.1 support:
a) packet-ber.c doesn't have a "dissect_ber_set" function though
asn2eth.py generates these calls
b) asn2eth.py has a "typo" for T61String support.

I have fixes for both problems which I will pass on when they have
been more thoroughly tested.

Finally, you come across lots of indefinite length encodings in the
X.400 world. Is there any update on the support for indefinite length
encoding?

Graeme