Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Make Problem

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:38:27 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Jim Apgar wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I can't seem to get any help on this.  I've tried both the developers
> and users ethereal lists.  I didn't see anything in the online docs or
> FAQs.  Is there some place else I should be looking?  Any feedback
> (positive or negative :-) ) would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hmmm, I've these bits in my top level makefile, which get the stuff
together.

ethereal_additional_libs = \
	gtk/libui.a		\
	wiretap/libwiretap.la	\
	epan/libethereal.la
ethereal_LDADD = \
	$(ethereal_optional_objects)	\
	$(ethereal_additional_libs)	\
	  		\
	$(plugin_ldadd)			\
ethereal$(EXEEXT): $(ethereal_OBJECTS) $(ethereal_DEPENDENCIES)
	@rm -f ethereal$(EXEEXT)
	$(LINK) $(ethereal_LDFLAGS) $(ethereal_OBJECTS) $(ethereal_LDADD) $(LIBS)

BTW: is the config.in suitable for AIX ?

> Hi All,
>
>    I can still use a little help (not being a C programmer and never
> really having to compile and link I'm a little lost).  I'm trying to
> install the latest release on an AIX 5.1 system.  The make runs for an
> 1.5 hours and errors out with undefined symbols (see below).  There are
> some warnings during this process, mostly variables being defined and
> not used.
>
>   It looks like the undefined symbols I am getting are defined in
> libethereal.def.  During the make a libethereal.la file is created.  By
> browsing the file, it looks to be a file that's needed by the linker.
> So, it appears that the make is not finding this file which is in the
> ethereal-0.10.11/epan directory.  Do I need to rerun the configure
> command and add the LDFLAGS=-L/ethereal-0.10.11/epan environment
> variable?  I would've thought this files location would get picked up
> automatically (at least it did to generate the libethereal.la file).
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

[Lot of error output deleted]

> Stop.
> [root@dinsmt2]:/home/jima/ethereal/ethereal-0.10.11>

Compiling as root.... you're not easily scared. ;)

Jaap