Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Registering filter fields during dissection time

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 02:21:52 +0200
I discarded the idea of using DTDs from the XML data because it
presented several security problems.

It is trivial to flood the dissector making it create tons of fake
protocols and its hf_s, etts and its value_strings until the program
crashes.

Every one able to send packets through the sniffer can easily add new
fields with the older names and send packets that would match or avoid
matching a specified filter.

And more...

The issue is do you realy want the behaviour of your dissector to
change based on what people writes to the network?

For me, the answer is no, I don't.