Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Etheral reads from socket

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 04:07:18 -0400
A good place to start I think would head over to the tcpdump.org folks
which maintain pcap (not all of them read this mailinglist since this
is merely for one out of many applications using libpcap).

Since they have previously raised well founded concerns about other
proposals complete lack of security  good questions to start with
would be :

What requirements would you say are absolute requirements for this to
ever be accepted?

Since any additions of this kind would affect the codebase for libpcap
and might introduce extra dependencies to libpcap,  what options are
available to ensure maximum interoperability and support for this for
the platforms libpcap support?

Since security and network interconnect would by definition require
additional code in libpcap,  would something like the semi-standard
ONC-RPC/GSS-API be sufficent?

Would inclusion and added dependency in libpcap on RPC/GSS-API be a
possible and acceptable path?

Then when everyone agrees that your bof seems possibly feasible and
possibly acceptable  the next part of your work begins:
1, write a protocol specification
2, write a specification how configuration and
authentication/authorization data is to be stored on each side.
3, implement and show a patch for review.