Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] TANGO: A new plugin base on giop

From: Paolo Frigo <paolo.frigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:26:27 +0200
On Sat, 2005-06-25 at 11:49 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> Paolo Frigo wrote:
>
> > I wrote a new plugin based on GIOP to recognize Tango packets.
>
> Where can we find the IDL file or files used to generate the plugin?
> We've changed the ethereal_gen.py script used by idl2eth, and would like
> to regenerate the plugin; we're now keeping in the SVN repository the
> IDL files for the protocols for which we have GIOP dissectors.
>
> ___________

This is the Tango IDL, if you need to know about TANGO is here..

http://www.elettra.trieste.it/~tango/downloads.html
http://www.esrf.fr/Infrastructure/Computing/tango

The attachment contains Tango.idl.

Best Regards,

Paolo Frigo

Paolo Frigo <paolo.frigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

/**
 * This is the new TACO interface defined in IDL. New TACO (or TANGO)
 * is a total rethink of (old) TACO which was based on remote procedure
 * calls.
 * TANGO is an extension of old TACO.
 * The fundamental idea of a device as a network object which
 * has methods and data has been retained. However
 * in TANGO objects will be real C++/Java objects which can be instantiated
 * and accessed via their methods and data by the client as if they were local
 * objects.
 * Certain aspects of the old DSAPI application programmer's
 * interface have been suppressed in order to simplify the client (e.g. import,
 * free, data collector api).
 * Features which have been considered missing in old TACO have been added
 * e.g. signals, events and groups.
 * Asynchronism and groups have been foreseen right from the beginning
 * this time.
 * This interface is defined in CORBA IDL.
 * The fundamental interface is Device.
 * All TANGO control objects will be of this type i.e. they will implement and
 * offer the Device interface.
 * New classes of control objects e.g. PowerSupply, will be created by
 * wrapping the Device class appropriately.
 * The wrapper class will hide the calls to the Device interface from
 * the client so that the client will only see the wrapper class.
 * All CORBA details will be hidden from the client as far as possible.
 * Generic clients will use the Device interface directly.
 * In addition to Device TANGO offers the interfaces Monitor,
 * GroupDevice and GroupSignal.
 * These interfaces implement TANGO services for monitoring and
 * executing grouped accesses to device/signals.<BR><BR>
 * Version history: <BR>
 * 20/08/98 : 1.1 : First official release<BR>
 * 18/08/99 : 2.0 : Separe idl and pseudo-idl<BR>
 * 08/09/99 : 2.1 : Remove the applet attribute and the initiliase and serialise operation from the device interface<BR>
 * 15/09/99 : 2.2 : Adapted to the ICALEPS show<BR>
 * 06/12/99 : 2.3 : Less possible state and add strings in the DevCmdInfo struct<BR>
 * 31/01/00 : 2.4 : Update DevVarCharArray to array of octet<BR>
 * 10/02/00 : 2.5 : Updated all attribute related stuff<BR>
 * 21/03/00 : 2.6 : Change arguments for the write_attributes device operation<BR>
 * 15/09/00 : 2.7 : Change arguments for the read_attributes operation. Remove the
 *		    CORBA field of the ErrFacility enumeration.
 *		    Replace the WARMUP state by INIT.
 *		    Change name of the dim_x and dim_y fields of the
 *		    AttributeConfig structure to max_dim_x and max_dim_y<BR>
 * 27/09/00 : 2.8 : Change the writable field type of the AttributeConfig structure<BR>
 * 26/10/00 : 2.9 : Change the DevError structure fields<BR>
 * 12/02/01 : 2.10 : Change in the ErrSeverity enum. Windows does not like enum member like ERROR<BR>
 * 14/02/01 : 2.11 : Another change in the ErrSeverity enum. WARNING is now WARN<BR>
 * 23/03/01 : 2.12 : Add a new attribute in the Device interface called adm_name<BR>
 * 26/10/01 : 3.0 : Add a new Device interface version using inheritance<BR>
 * Add a new parameter to command_inout operation<BR>
 * Add the command and attribute display level in command and attribute config structure<BR>
 * Add a new call to get command or attribute cache history<BR>
 * 06/04/02 : 2.0 : Update release number to be coherent with the real Tango software release number<BR>

@author JM.Chaize,<BR>A.Gotz,<BR>W-D.Klotz,<BR>J.Meyer,<BR>E.Taurel
@version 2.0
**/

module Tango
{

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		Include all types, struct.... definition file
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// 		Basic types to transport command data
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

typedef boolean 			DevBoolean;
typedef double 				DevDouble;
typedef float 				DevFloat;
typedef long 				DevLong;
typedef short 				DevShort;
typedef string 				DevString;
typedef octet				DevUChar;
typedef unsigned long 			DevULong;
typedef unsigned short 			DevUShort;
typedef sequence<float> 		DevVarFloatArray;
typedef sequence<double> 		DevVarDoubleArray;
typedef sequence<short> 		DevVarShortArray;
typedef sequence<long> 			DevVarLongArray;
typedef sequence<octet> 		DevVarCharArray;
typedef sequence<string> 		DevVarStringArray;
typedef sequence<unsigned short> 	DevVarUShortArray;
typedef sequence<unsigned long>	 	DevVarULongArray;
typedef sequence<boolean>		DevVarBooleanArray;

struct DevVarLongStringArray
{
	DevVarLongArray 	lvalue;
	DevVarStringArray 	svalue;
};

struct DevVarDoubleStringArray
{
	DevVarDoubleArray 	dvalue;
	DevVarStringArray 	svalue;
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// 		Some enumerations
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

enum AttrQuality
{
	ATTR_VALID,
	ATTR_INVALID,
	ATTR_ALARM,
	ATTR_CHANGING,
	ATTR_WARNING
};

enum AttrWriteType
{
	READ,
	READ_WITH_WRITE,
	WRITE,
	READ_WRITE
};

enum AttrDataFormat
{
	SCALAR,
	SPECTRUM,
	IMAGE
};

enum DevSource
{
	DEV,
	CACHE,
	CACHE_DEV
};

enum ErrSeverity
{
	WARN,
	ERR,
	PANIC
};

enum DevState
{
	ON,
	OFF,
	CLOSE,
	OPEN,
	INSERT,
	EXTRACT,
	MOVING,
	STANDBY,
	FAULT,
	INIT,
	RUNNING,
	ALARM,
	DISABLE,
	UNKNOWN
};

enum DispLevel
{
	OPERATOR,
	EXPERT
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		 Some  miscellaneous structures definitions
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct TimeVal
{
	long 	tv_sec;
	long 	tv_usec;
	long 	tv_nsec;
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		For the command query device operation
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct DevCmdInfo
{
	string 	cmd_name;
	long 	cmd_tag;
	long 	in_type;
	long 	out_type;
	string	in_type_desc;
	string 	out_type_desc;
};

struct DevCmdInfo_2
{
	string 		cmd_name;
	DispLevel 	level;
	long		cmd_tag;
	long 		in_type;
	long 		out_type;
	string		in_type_desc;
	string 		out_type_desc;
};

typedef sequence<DevCmdInfo> DevCmdInfoList;
typedef sequence<DevCmdInfo_2> DevCmdInfoList_2;

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
// 		For the DevFailed exceptions
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct DevError
{
	string 		reason;
	ErrSeverity 	severity;
	string 		desc;
	string 		origin;
};

typedef sequence<DevError> DevErrorList;

struct NamedDevError
{
	string		name;
	long		index_in_call;
	DevErrorList	err_list;
};

typedef sequence<NamedDevError> NamedDevErrorList;

exception DevFailed
{
	DevErrorList errors;
};

exception MultiDevFailed
{
	NamedDevErrorList errors;
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		For attribute management
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct AttributeConfig
{
	string			name;
	AttrWriteType		writable;
	AttrDataFormat		data_format;
	long			data_type;
	long			max_dim_x;
	long			max_dim_y;
	string 			description;
	string 			label;
	string 			unit;
	string 			standard_unit;
	string			display_unit;
	string 			format;
	string   		min_value;
	string    		max_value;
	string   		min_alarm;
	string   		max_alarm;
	string			writable_attr_name;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct AttributeConfig_2
{
	string			name;
	AttrWriteType		writable;
	AttrDataFormat		data_format;
	long			data_type;
	long			max_dim_x;
	long			max_dim_y;
	string 			description;
	string 			label;
	string 			unit;
	string 			standard_unit;
	string			display_unit;
	string 			format;
	string   		min_value;
	string    		max_value;
	string   		min_alarm;
	string   		max_alarm;
	string			writable_attr_name;
	DispLevel		level;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct AttributeValue
{
	any 		value;
	AttrQuality 	quality;
	TimeVal 	time;
	string		name;
	long		dim_x;
	long 		dim_y;
};

struct AttributeDim
{
	long dim_x;
	long dim_y;
};

struct AttributeValue_3
{
	any 		value;
	AttrQuality 	quality;
	TimeVal 	time;
	string		name;
	AttributeDim	r_dim;
	AttributeDim	w_dim;
	DevErrorList	err_list;
};

struct ChangeEventProp
{
	string			rel_change;
	string			abs_change;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct PeriodicEventProp
{
	string			period;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct ArchiveEventProp
{
	string			rel_change;
	string			abs_change;
	string			period;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct EventProperties
{
	ChangeEventProp		ch_event;
	PeriodicEventProp	per_event;
	ArchiveEventProp	arch_event;
};

struct AttributeAlarm
{
	string			min_alarm;
	string			max_alarm;
	string 			min_warning;
	string			max_warning;
	string			delta_t;
	string			delta_val;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
};

struct AttributeConfig_3
{
	string			name;
	AttrWriteType		writable;
	AttrDataFormat		data_format;
	long			data_type;
	long			max_dim_x;
	long			max_dim_y;
	string 			description;
	string 			label;
	string 			unit;
	string 			standard_unit;
	string			display_unit;
	string 			format;
	string   		min_value;
	string    		max_value;
	string			writable_attr_name;
	DispLevel		level;
	AttributeAlarm		att_alarm;
	EventProperties		event_prop;
	DevVarStringArray	extensions;
	DevVarStringArray	sys_extensions;
};

typedef sequence<AttributeConfig> AttributeConfigList;
typedef sequence<AttributeConfig_2> AttributeConfigList_2;
typedef sequence<AttributeConfig_3> AttributeConfigList_3;
typedef sequence<AttributeValue> AttributeValueList;
typedef sequence<AttributeValue_3> AttributeValueList_3;

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		For device interface info operation
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct DevInfo
{
	string 	dev_class;
	string 	server_id;
	string 	server_host;
	long 	server_version;
	string 	doc_url;
};

struct DevInfo_3
{
	string 	dev_class;
	string 	server_id;
	string 	server_host;
	long 	server_version;
	string 	doc_url;
	string 	dev_type;
};

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		For command and attribute history
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

struct DevCmdHistory
{
	TimeVal		time;
	boolean		cmd_failed;
	any		value;
	DevErrorList	errors;
};

typedef sequence<DevCmdHistory> DevCmdHistoryList;

struct DevAttrHistory
{
	boolean		attr_failed;
	AttributeValue	value;
	DevErrorList	errors;
};

struct DevAttrHistory_3
{
	boolean			attr_failed;
	AttributeValue_3	value;
};

typedef sequence<DevAttrHistory> 	DevAttrHistoryList;
typedef sequence<DevAttrHistory_3> 	DevAttrHistoryList_3;

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------
//
//		Include the device interface
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------

/**
 * The fundamental interface for all TANGO objects.
 * Each Device is a network object which can be accessed locally or via
 * network.
 * The network protocol on the wire will be IIOP.
 * The Device interface implements all the basic functions needed for doing
 * generic synchronous and asynchronous I/O on a device.
 * A Device object has data and actions.
 * Data are represented in the form of Attributes.
 * Actions are represented in the form of Commands.
 * The CORBA Device interface offers attributes and methods to access
 * the attributes and commands.
 * A client will either use these methods directly from C++ or Java or access
 * them via a wrapper class.
 * The Device interface describes only the remote network interface.
 * Implementation features like threads, command security, priority
 * etc. are dealt with in server side of the device server model.
 **/

interface Device
{

/**
 * name (readonly) - unique ascii identifier
 **/
	readonly attribute string name;
/**
 * description (readonly) - general description of device
 **/
	readonly attribute string description;
/**
 * state (readonly) - device state
 **/
	readonly attribute DevState state;
/**
 * status (readonly) - device state as ascii string
 **/
	readonly attribute string status;
/**
 * adm_name (readonly) - administrator device unique ascii identifier
 **/
	readonly attribute string adm_name;

/**
 * execute a command on a device synchronously with
 * one input parameter and one output parameter
@param command ascii string e.g. "On"
@param argin command input parameter e.g. float
@return command result.
 **/
	any command_inout(in string command, in any argin) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * read the configuration for a variable list of attributes from a device
@param name list of attribute names to read
@return list of attribute configurations read
 **/
	AttributeConfigList get_attribute_config(in DevVarStringArray names) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * set the configuration for a variable list of attributes from the device
@param new_conf list of attribute configuration to be set
@return nothing
 **/
	void set_attribute_config(in AttributeConfigList new_conf) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * read a variable list of attributes from a device
@param name list of attribute names to read
@return list of attribute values read
 **/
	AttributeValueList read_attributes(in DevVarStringArray names) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * write a variable list of attributes to a device
@param values list of attribute values to write
@return nothing
 **/
	void write_attributes(in AttributeValueList values) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * ping a device to see if it alive
 **/
	void ping() raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * read list of last N commands executed by clients
@param number of commands to return
@return list of command and clients
 **/
	DevVarStringArray black_box(in long n) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * return general information about object e.g. class, type, ...
@return device info
 **/
	DevInfo info() raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * query device to see what commands it supports
@return list of commands and their types
 **/
	DevCmdInfoList command_list_query() raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * query device to see command argument
@return command and its types
@param command name
 **/
	DevCmdInfo command_query(in string command) raises(DevFailed);

};

/**
 * A new release of the basic Device interface.
 * This new release has been introduced mainly to support Tango device server
 * internal polling. Inheritance is used between this new release and the
 * old one. This release mainly defines a new release of the command_inout and
 * read_attributes calls with a new parameter. It also add a new call to read
 * command or attributes result history.
 **/

interface Device_2: Device
{
/**
 * Execute a command on a device synchronously with
 * one input parameter and one output parameter
@param command ascii string e.g. "On"
@param argin command input parameter e.g. float
@param source The data source. Used to specify if the command result must be
read from the polling cache buffer or from the device itself
@return command result.
 **/
	any command_inout_2(in string command,
			    in any argin,
			    in DevSource source) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Read a variable list of attributes from a device
@param name list of attribute names to read
@param source The data source. Used to specify if the command result must be
read from the polling cache buffer or from the device itself
@return list of attribute values read
 **/
	AttributeValueList read_attributes_2(in DevVarStringArray names,
					     in DevSource source) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Read the configuration for a variable list of attributes from a device.
 * Compared to the Device interface, the attribute configuration has one more
 * field (The display level)
@param name list of attribute names to read
@return list of attribute configurations read
 **/
	AttributeConfigList_2 get_attribute_config_2(in DevVarStringArray names) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Query device to see what commands it supports.
 * Compared to the Device interface, the command configuration has one more
 * field (The display level)
@return list of commands and their types
 **/
	DevCmdInfoList_2 command_list_query_2() raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Query device to see command argument.
 * Compared to the Device interface, the command configuration has one more
 * field (The display level)
@return command and its types
@param command name
 **/
	DevCmdInfo_2 command_query_2(in string command) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Get command history buffer.
 * Return command result history for polled command
@param command ascii string e.g. "On"
@param n The history depth
@return command history.
 **/
	DevCmdHistoryList command_inout_history_2(in string command,
						  in long n) raises (DevFailed);

/**
 * Get attribute value history buffer.
 * Return attribute value history for polled attribute
@param name ascii string
@param n The history depth
@return attribute value history.
 **/
	DevAttrHistoryList read_attribute_history_2(in string name,
						    in long n) raises (DevFailed);
};

interface Device_3: Device_2
{

/**
 * Read a variable list of attributes from a device
@param name list of attribute names to read
@param source The data source. Used to specify if the command result must be
read from the polling cache buffer or from the device itself
@return list of attribute values read
 **/
	AttributeValueList_3 read_attributes_3(in DevVarStringArray names,
					       in DevSource source) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * write a variable list of attributes to a device
@param values list of attribute values to write
@return nothing
 **/
	void write_attributes_3(in AttributeValueList values) raises(DevFailed,MultiDevFailed);
/**
 * Get attribute value history buffer.
 * Return attribute value history for polled attribute
@param name ascii string
@param n The history depth
@return attribute value history.
 **/
	DevAttrHistoryList_3 read_attribute_history_3(in string name,
						      in long n) raises (DevFailed);

/**
 * return general information about object e.g. class, type, ...
@return device info
 **/
	DevInfo_3 info_3() raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * Read the configuration for a variable list of attributes from a device.
 * Compared to the Device interface, the attribute configuration has one more
 * field (The display level)
@param name list of attribute names to read
@return list of attribute configurations read
 **/
	AttributeConfigList_3 get_attribute_config_3(in DevVarStringArray names) raises(DevFailed);

/**
 * set the configuration for a variable list of attributes from the device
@param new_conf list of attribute configuration to be set
@return nothing
 **/
	void set_attribute_config_3(in AttributeConfigList_3 new_conf) raises(DevFailed);
};

};  /* module tango */