Ethereal-dev: [Ethereal-dev] Re: SSL Dissector - thoughts

From: ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:31:58 -0400
Hi,

SSL support would be very very useful in ethereal, however,
the OpenSSL library is not compatible with GPL with affects people
distributing Ethereal.

In essence, it seems probable that ethereal can not be distributed
linked with OpenSSL for the windows platform, which is the majority of
users.
While these users could install OpenSSL themself and recompile,  the
process of recompiling the tool is outside the realms of most windows
users.

A much much better solution would be to implement the SSL decryption
by hand inside ethereal just using the basic primitives we already
have in ethereal and not linking with openssl at all.