Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Google "Summer of code"

From: Michael Cohen <michael.cohen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:35:07 +1000
Hi Fulvio,
   Authentication and link encryption is a very difficult problem, which
   many programs have tried and failed to implement propertly. For
   example look at how many different iterations SSH had to go through
   with vulns found regularly in the first few years. Some of those
   vulns occured in the implementation (eg bounds checking) others in
   the actual protocol (we have ssh v1 which is obsolete etc.).

   My thinking is that its better to outsource this difficult problem to
   those which have had a lot of experience in this field - e.g.
   openssh. You also get all the extra bonuses like choice of
   cryptos/authentication, priv sep etc.

   How about something like this:

   ssh root@remote tcpdump -s0 -w - not port 22 > /tmp/capture.pcap

   and ethereal -r /tmp/capture.pcap

   Or simply some equivalent wrapping around the same concept from the
   GUI? (would be really nice if ethereal could read from a pipe into
   a memory map so you dont need a temp file at all).

   This works for windows as well as openssh is also available for
   windows.

   Alternatively use something like SSL for example to do the same
   thing? It all comes down to the basic unix philosophy of small tools
   to do small tasks. For example if ethereal gui had an option like
   "launch external command to obtain capture" we could use ssh if we
   want, or ssl (using curl) if we wanted as well - whatever is
   appropriate for the exact situation.

   Michael.