Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] Add tapping to README.developer Section 1.2 Skeleton?

From: Mike Duigou <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 11:55:12 -0700
Ulf Lamping wrote:
If there's no objection I will amend the skeleton with tapping calls,
add a few notes of explanation and direct towards README.tapping and
README.stats_tree for more info.

Hmmm, keeping the skeleton as simple as possible might by a better idea.

The skeleton is meant as a starting point for new developers and not as
a showroom for all the features Ethereal provides :-)

Guy Harris wrote:
> "Tapping" isn't a generic concept - for any particular dissector, you'd
> have to figure out what information to supply.  For some protocols,
> supplying the information from the protocol header would be the right
> answer, but if there's more than a fixed-length header with a fixed set
> of fields, you'd have to decide which, if any (or all) of the
> information from the protocol should be supplied to the tap.

Thanks for your comments.

I'll opt for instead a one paragraph summary of tapping (stealing heavily from README.tapping and directing readers there for further info) and include it in the currently empty section 4.0

Mike