Ethereal-dev: Re: [Ethereal-dev] information is display while filter, not otherwise

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:52:20 -0800
Nina Pham wrote:
Things are getting weird here. I wrote a plugin to capture one protocol.

(Presumably meaning "to *dissect* one protocol"; plugins make no difference as to whether Ethereal can capture a protocol - it can capture protocols that it cannot dissect.)

Some data I like to display on the information column wont be display when I did a filtering on a protocal name. Data disappears again when I
clear the filter. Any idea will be appreciated.

So is the information being displayed if you *are* filtering, or if you *aren't* filtering?

If it's being displayed only if you're filtering, your dissector is probably only making the "col_add_str()"/"col_add_fstr()"/"col_append_str()"/"col_append_fstr()"/etc. calls to add that information only if the protocol tree argument to the dissector is non-null. It should make those calls regardless of whether it's null or not.